Juan Martin del Potro has suffered a huge blow in his bid to return to the world's top ten after learning he could miss the French Open with a hip injury.

24286 - Del Potro a doubt for French Open

Del Potro sustained the injury at last week's Madrid Masters and flew back to Buenos Aires for tests, and a spokesperson confirmed the 22-year-old had suffered an eight millimetre tear in his left hip muscle.

"We still don't know how long it will take for del Potro to return to the circuit but it is most probable that he won't get to play the second Grand Slam of the season, Roland-Garros," said a member of the Argentine's support staff.

Del Potro has vowed to do everything in his power to play at Roland Garros, but will not compromise his fitness in order to play.

"I started rehabilitation today [Monday] and I will do all I can to play in Paris," he said. "I want to take things calmly without hurrying my return to the circuit."

The former US Open champion slumped to 485th in the world rankings at the start of 2011 after missing most of last season with a wrist injury. However, victories at Delray Beach and Estoril had seen the Argentine rise to No. 31.