To eat while resting [your back] against a support
TO EAT WHILE RESTING [YOUR BACK] AGAINST A SUPPORT IS NOT SUNNAH
The Beloved of Allah, Rasulullah sallalahu alaihi wasallam ‑ has said, “I do not eat while resting [my back] against a support.” (Kanz-ul-’Ummal, pp. 102, vol. 15, adiš. 40704)
DO NOT EAT WHILE RESTING AGAINST A SUPPORT
Sayyiduna Abu Darda radiallahu anhu has narrated that the Noble Prophet, Rasulullah sallalahu alaihi wasallam said, “You should not eat while resting against a support” (Majma’uz Zawaid, Vol: 5, Pg: 22, Hadith: 7918).
WHAT DOES ‘RESTING AGAINST A SUPPORT MEAN?
The following four sitting positions are considered to be “resting against a support” positions. It is not recommended to sit in these positions while having food:
1. Recline on one side of your body and eat.
2. Sit cross-legged.
3. Place one hand on the floor and lean against it.
4. Rest the back against a support like a chair or a wall.
The proper postures of eating, according to Sunnah, are to sit in a folded legged position (as in Salah) or to sit with both knees raised upwards. These positions are also physically beneficial for the body. However, it is improper to eat while standing. (Mirat-ul Manajih, pp. 12, vol. 6)
THE MEDICAL HARMS OF RESTING AGAINST A SUPPORT WHILE EATING
Dear Islamic Brothers! It is not Sunnah to eat with your back resting against a support. There are three major medical harms that could be engendered if this great Sunnah is not practiced.
1. One will not be able to properly chew the food. Hence sufficient saliva, with the essential digestive enzymes will not properly mix with the food. Thus, the digestive system will suffer.
2. The Stomach expands as a result of eating while resting against a support. This allows more food to enter your stomach and thus affects the digestive system.
3. Liver and Intestines can also be harmed.
Hujja-tul-Islam, Sayyiduna Imam Muhammad Ghazali rehmatullah alaih has stated that drinking while resting against a support harms the stomach. (Ihya-ul-‘Ulum, pp. 5, vol. 2)
Re: To eat while resting [your back] against a sup
JAZAK ALLAH KHAIR