British No. 1 Andy Murray was naturally disappointed with his semi-final loss at the hands of Rafael Nadal, but the Scot walked away from Roland Garros content that he had given the second Slam of 2011 his all.

25389 - Andy Murray content despite defeat

Murray said after the 6-4 7-5 6-4 defeat that the Spaniard simply had too many weapons on the French red clay.

"It was a long match, there were a lot of deuce games. A lot of service games were really, really tight. I thought I did well.

"Everyone seems to think it's easy against Rafa to just come into the net or go for big shots, but you do have to be very patient. Sometimes I didn't quite get the ball I was looking for, and sometimes when I did I made a few mistakes.

"But I think it was a close match. I don't think there was too much in it. He just played better than me today. That's the difference," he said.

Murray had never before reached the semis at the French Open, and despite his straight sets exit believes he is now in a position to be a regular threat to the world's top three.

"At the start of the clay-court season there's no chance anyone was thinking I'd be in this position. I'm happy that I managed to put myself in that position today," he said.

"Rafa is a better clay-court player than me. That's a fact. It's always been like that since we both started on the tour. His results would show that.

"But I feel like I've closed the gap. I think I'm a lot better on clay than I was last year. I still have a way to go to be as good as him, and so does pretty much every player on the tour.

"I need to work on some things. I look forward to that for next year, but now I've got to concentrate on how to win against the likes of him and Roger and Novak on the grass. It's a different game, so I look forward to that."

Indeed, Murray's focus will now shift to grass- court tournaments in the lead-up this year's Wimbledon championships - a tournament in which he has reached the semi-final stage for the past two years.

However, after playing through the pain of an ankle injury sustained in the third round against German Michael Berrer, Murray will seek medical advice before committing to next week's Queen's Club tournament.

"I'll see my physio and talk about the best thing to do. If staying on the anti-inflammatories and the painkillers is right, then I could easily be on the practice court tomorrow.

"But if it's best to get off them for a few days, see how everything is really feeling, I might have to take a couple days off and see," Murray said.