World No. 2 Lee Westwood says the player that makes the least amount of errors will be victorious at this week's US Open at Congressional.

24678 - Golf: Confident Westwood eyeing first major title

The Englishman has been rewarded for his consistency at the majors - finishing third or better in five of the last 11 - and is in confident mood going into Thursday's opening round.

The 38-year-old, who made his US Open debut at Congressional 14 years ago, realises the fine margins that exist between a runners-up spot and a win, admitting he needs to find the right blend of attacking and cautious play in order to land a first major title.

"It's a tricky balancing act, going in with expectations but playing with freedom as well," he said. "It's a fine line when you do get really close to it between becoming frustrated, but still seeing the positives in it.

"If you're a good player you're going to have disappointments because you're going to be in contention a lot. You try to look at it on the bright side and I think I've probably managed to do that over the last few years. I feel like my game is good enough. And if I just do a few things differently at the right times, then it'll be the difference between a second and a win."

While accepting that US Opens are the toughest test of the four majors, Westwood believes his game will stand up to the challenge and is very "excited" by his chances.

"I'm hitting the ball very well," he said. "I'm driving it pretty long and straight. My iron shots are fairly crisp, which is good coming into a US Open. My preparation has gone well. I've played well just recently, really since the Masters, after a slowish start to the year. There's a couple of wins in there and obviously lost in a play-off to Luke at the (BMW) PGA.

"My confidence is pretty high, and looking forward to this week. The major championships really now are the most exciting part of the year and the ones I look forward to during the year, so it's an exciting week this week."