Jenson Button says that wherever he ends up in the future he wants his team-mate to be as competitive as Lewis Hamilton.

button hamilton - Button wants tough team-mate

Both Button's and Hamilton's futures have been the centre of much speculation this season, as Button's current McLaren deal runs out at the end of the year and Hamilton's at the end of 2012. When asked by ESPNF1 if having a similar relationship to his current one with Hamilton was important to Button when considering his next deal, he said it would come in to his thinking.

"Yeah I think so," Button said. "We all want to work with a team-mate that's focussed on achieving, you always want to push yourself and that's one of the reasons why I wanted to be here at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes to work alongside Lewis, and to work alongside someone that's won a world championship but that's also committed and fighting for another one I think it really pushes you on."

Button has been linked with Ferrari and Hamilton has been persistently linked with Red Bull, although Christian Horner played down the chances of a move. Both are yet to commit to McLaren, however, and Button said a competitive team-mate would be required regardless of the team he ends up driving for.

"I don't know what's going to happen in the future, obviously, but wherever we are in the future I'm sure we'd want to be with a driver who is competitive and really wants to fight, not a driver that wants to play second fiddle. That's not what we're here to do; we're here to fight everyone as well as your team-mate."