Felipe Massa said he was pleased to outqualify his team-mate Fernando Alonso for the first time this season and is hoping to be just as competitive in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

11231 - Massa pleased to outqualify Alonso at last

Massa pipped Alonso to fourth by just 0.015s in qualifying, after three difficult practice sessions in which he struggled to find a balance and failed to set a clean lap on the supersoft tyres.

"Again this morning, I had too much oversteer and then, after making a few changes, it ended up the other way: we made a further adjustment to the front wing and the car's handling was much better. It's difficult to predict how many stops there will be: four is not impossible, three absolutely probable. Much will depend on the length of the first stint: that's where it will be clear which way to go for the following stops. What does it mean to me to be ahead of my team-mate for the first time this year? I am pleased, but what counts is being ahead of everyone and I hope we soon get some qualifying sessions where we are the best.

"Here I don't think I could have got under the 1:20s mark: McLaren and Red Bull are very strong and will be so tomorrow. My only complaint is starting from the dirty side of the track: I know how penalising it can be at this track."

Ferrari's race pace has been good at the last two grands prix and Massa is hoping that will translate into a good result on Sunday.

"Usually our rivals find something extra for qualifying and we make a step forward in the race: we will see tomorrow if this unwritten rule will also be confirmed at this track," he said. "I hope I have a car that is competitive, as it was in the final part of qualifying."