Benefits of Dates (Khajoor)
(1) Beloved Rasul of Allah Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam has said: “The great ajwah (the best type of date in Madina) is a cure for all illnesses.” Allama Badr-ud-Deen ‘Ainee Hanafi Radiallaho Ta’ala ‘Anhu says, “Eating seven ajwah dates a day for seven days, prevents leprosy.” (Umda-tul-Qari, V14, P446, Hadith 5768)
(2) Our Makki Madani Mustafa Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam said: “The ajwah date is from Heaven; it is a cure for poison.” (Jami’ Tirmizi, V4, P17, Hadith 2073) According to a Hadith in Bukhari Shareef, if anyone eats 7 ajwah dates in the morning (before anything else) then he will be safe from magic and poison that day. (Sahih Bukhari, V3, P540, Hadith 5445)
(3) Sayyiduna Abu Huraira Radiallaho Ta’ala ‘Anhu says, “Dates prevent appendicitis.” (Kanzul-Umaal, V10, P12, Hadith 24191)
(4) Beloved Rasul of Allah Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam said: “Eating dates in the morning before anything else kills stomach germs.” (Jami’-us-Sagheer, P398, Hadith 6394)
(5) Sayyiduna Rabee’ bin Khatheem Radiallaho Ta’ala ‘Anhu says: “To me, dates and honey are the best cures for a pregnant woman and a sick man respectively.” (Dur-rul-Mansoor, V5, P505)
(6) Sayyidi Muhammad Ahmad Dhahabi Rehmatullah alaih says: “If a pregnant woman eats dates she will Insha-Allah azwajal give birth to a baby-boy who will be handsome, tolerant and polite.”
(7) Dates are very beneficial for the one who has become weak due to hunger because they are full of vitamins and revive energy rapidly. This is the wisdom of doing Iftar with dates.
(8) Doing Iftar with very cold water immediately may well result in stomach problems (including wind problems) and the swelling of the liver. Eating dates before drinking cold water reduces this risk, but remember, drinking extremely cold water is always harmful.
(9) Eating dates with melon or cucumber or dates with water melon is a sunnah. Eating dates in the foregoing way is very beneficial but Alhamdu-Lillah azwajal knowing that it is sunnah is enough for us. According to doctors it removes physical and +++ual weakness and thinness. A Hadith states that eating butter with dates is also sunnah. (Sunan Ibn-e-Maja, V4, P41, Hadith 3334)
Eating fresh and dry (old) dates together is a sunnah as well. Ibn Majah mentions: When the devil sees someone eating fresh and dry (old) dates together, he regrets that man has become strong by eating fresh dates with dried ones. (Sunan Ibn-e-Maja, V4, P40, Hadith
(10) Dates are a cure for prolonged constipation.
(11) Dates are useful for asthma, heart, kidney, gall bladder, bladder and intestine problems. They remove phlegm, treat dried skin, strengthen a man’s virility, and help the flow of urine.
(12) Eating grinded dates with their seeds is beneficial for heart problems and cataract (eye disease).
(13) Soaking dates in water and drinking it cures liver problems.
This water is also effective for treating diarrhoea. (Leave the date to soak in water at night and then drink in the morning before anything else but don’t store it in a freezer)
(14) Dates boiled in milk are a very powerful nutrient. It is very useful for removing the weakness that is experienced after an illness.
(15) Wounds heal quickly by eating dates.
(16) Date is an effective medicine for jaundice.
(17) Fresh and fully ripe dates cure bile problems and acidity.
(18) Using the residue of burnt date-seeds as a tooth powder makes the teeth shiny and removes mouth bad odours.
(19) Applying the residue of burnt seeds of date on to wounds stops bleeding and helps the wounds heal.
(20) Burning date seeds in fire and inhaling its smoke dry the warts of piles.
(21) Using the residue of burnt date tree roots or leaves as a tooth powder is beneficial for treating tooth-aches. Boiling the roots or leaves in water and rinsing your mouth with it is also effective for treating toothaches.
(22) If eating dates causes any side effect, you should eat them with the juice of pomegranate, poppy seeds or black pepper seeds or drink with them.
(23) Eating half ripe and old dates together is harmful; similarly, eating dates with grapes, currants, raisins or figs, eating a large quantity of dates immediately after recovering from an illness in weakness and eating dates whilst suffering from an eye infection are all harmful.
(24) Not more than approximately 60 grams of dates should be eaten at a time. When eating old dates you should open them up and check them for small red insects and clean them. It is disliked (Makruh) to eat dates which are suspected to be infested without cleaning them. (Awnul Ma’bood, V10, P246) Sellers often rub mustard oil on dates to make them look shiny so it is better to soak them in water for a few minutes to remove any fly droppings and dirt and then wash them before eating. Fresh ripe tree dates are the most beneficial.
(25) Do not throw away the seeds of dates that have been brought from Madina-tul-Munawwara instead place them in a respectful place or throw them in a river. Further, you can gain their blessings by cutting them into tiny pieces which can be kept in a small tin and eaten like nuts. No matter which part of the world any thing comes from, when it enters the atmosphere of Madina-tul-Munawwara it belongs to Madina and therefore it becomes an object of respect for lovers.