AC Milan's Netherlands international Mark van Bommel has revealed that Manchester City have failed with a bid for his services.

10092 - City fail with Van Bommel bid

City have a squad that is the envy of the majority of teams in Europe, with a midfield brimming with talent. But it would appear manager Roberto Mancini is still keen to add further quality to his ranks.

The Italian has already signed Samir Nasri, Gael Clichy, Stefan Savic and Sergio Aguero this summer - but seemingly has his eye on another midfielder after seeing a bid for Van Bommel batted back by Milan.

"City were one of the clubs that wanted me in the winter, so it is not as if their interest has come from nowhere," Van Bommel said. "But AC Milan has a clear position and I can live with that.

"I feel good as a footballer and I am appreciated here; my family feels at home here."

Van Bommel's agent has put the approach into context by revealing Mancini is worried about losing Ivory Coast international Yaya Toure to African Cup of Nations duty in January.

"They have the problem that Yaya Toure will spend considerable time away at the African Nations Cup and in addition they know Mark van Bommel works very well with Nigel de Jong," Mino Raiola said. "But the message from AC Milan is clear: Mark van Bommel is not for sale under any circumstances."