Andy Murray has admitted he is worried about picking up an illness at the US Open, revealing he is avoiding the locker rooms so as not to become a 16th singles casualty of the tournament.

28561 - Andy Murray worried as US Open casualties soar

Since the final slam of the year's draw was made, 15 singles players have pulled out - a record for the tournament - citing a variety of reasons for their withdrawals. The bulk of those were muscular problems, although Conor Niland suffered food poisoning, Robin Soderling picked up a nasty stomach virus and Venus Williams has been diagnosed with an auto-immune condition called Sjogren's syndrome.

With so many players falling in the first week at Flushing Meadows, Murray is taking no risks, opting to take immune-boosting tablets and refraining from going in the locker rooms as much as possible.

"There have been a lot of players dropping out, which is a worry," Murray told the Daily Telegraph. "You can take special tablets which boost your immune system and I'm doing that."

"You have to be careful as a lot of people have been getting sick and you want to stay away from it. I have been avoiding the locker-rooms as much as possible. You don't want to be hanging about on site more than you need to and I have been trying to get out of the stadium just as soon as I can."

Meanwhile, Murray has been warned by second-round opponent Robin Haase he is in for a battle, with the Dutchman insisting he "can beat anyone".

"If you look at my results, I can beat almost anyone," he said. "I'll definitely have to keep my percentage of errors really low, because he's not making any errors most of the time. I'll have to be healthy and be there mentally for every point. And of course I need to serve well. I just need to play my best game and hit a lot of winners."