Andy Murray admitted he was relieved to reach the third round of the US Open after surviving a real scare at the hands of Robin Haase.

28670 - Andy Murray relieved to survive Haase test

At two sets down to the Dutchman, Murray was in danger of suffering another premature exit in New York, but he battled back to claim a 6-7(7) 2-6 6-2 6-0 6-4 victory. The British No. 1, who qualified for the ATP World Tour Finals in London with his win, insisted he felt completely in control despite letting a 4-0 lead slip in the final set before eventually clinching the victory.

"That's when I felt my calmest," Murray said. "It was an unbelievable ending to the match. I'm just glad I'm in the next round and get a chance to improve and play better and give myself a chance.

"Even when he started coming back, I wasn't panicking, I wasn't getting frustrated. I just stayed focused and managed to turn it around. It's just one of those matches where anything could have happened at the end. I just stayed a little bit tougher than him and got the win.

"It does help to know physically you can get through the match. That's really the main thing. You always feel like you can turn the match round in terms of the tennis."

Next up for Murray is Feliciano Lopez, who has never beaten Murray in five previous encounters, including a straight-sets quarter-final defeat at Wimbledon in June.