Reasons for Getting Relief from Punishment
Dear Islamic brothers & sisters! If Allah azwajal decides to have mercy on someone He accepts even a minor deed and through it, He showers His mercy upon him.
A Hadith mentions several different people who were blessed by Allah azwajal and saved from His wrath as a reward of certain deeds.
Sayyiduna Abdurrahman bin Samurah Radiallaho Ta’ala ‘Anhu narrates that once the Greatest Intercessor, the Last Rasul, Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam came (to us) and said, “Last night I had a dream, I saw that:
(1) The angel of death alaihi salam came to take a man’s soul but his obedience to his parents appeared in front of him and he was saved.
(2) One man was being punished in the grave but his virtue of performing wudu saved him.
(3) One man was surrounded by devils but the Zikr of Allah azwajal saved him.
(4) One man was surrounded by the angels of retribution but his salah saved him.
(5) One man’s tongue was hanging due to thirst, he would approach a pond to drink water but he would not be permitted to drink, but then his fasts arrived and quenched his thirst.
(6) One man was trying to enter the circle of Prophets alaihimu salam but was not permitted to do so, but then his ghusl (bath) of impurity arrived and sat him beside me.
(7) One man was surrounded by intense darkness, and he was frightened, but his Hajj and Umrah came and took him out of the darkness and brought him into the light.
(8) One man wanted to talk to Muslims but they did not pay him any attention, and then his virtue of behaving well with relatives asked the Muslims to speak to him, and so they began to converse with him.
(9) Fire was approaching the face and body of a man who was trying to protect himself by using his arms as a shield, but then his charity arrived and shielded him.
(10) One man was surrounded by the angels of retribution but his virtue of invitation to goodness and prevention from evil saved him and handed him over to the angels of mercy.
(11) One man was sitting on his knees but there was a veil between him and Allah azwajal, but then his good character arrived and let him meet Allah azwajal.
(12) The book of deeds of a man was about to be given to his left hand, but then his fear of Allah azwajal arrived and he was given his book of deeds in his right hand.
(13) One man was short of virtues but his generosity arrived and the weight of his virtues increased.
(14) One man was standing at the edge of Hell but his fear of Allah azwajal arrived and saved him.
(15) One man fell into Hell but the tears that he had shed due to fear of Allah azwajal came and saved him.
(16) One man was standing on the Siraat-bridge and was shaking like a branch, but then his expectation that Allah azwajal will have mercy, arrived and saved him, and so he crossed the bridge.
(17) One man was crawling across the bridge (Siraat), but then his recitation of Durood upon me stood him up and helped him cross it.
(18) One of my followers reached the gates of Heaven but they were closed, then his witness 'There is none worthy of worship except Allah azwajal ' came and the gates opened up for him, allowing him to enter.
The Painful Torment for Telling Tales
(19) The lips of some people were being cut; I asked Jibraeel Alaihi salam, “Who are these people?” He replied, “They used to tell tales.” The Horrific Punishment for Accusing others of Sins
(20) Some people were hanging by their tongues, I asked Jibraeel Alaihi salam who they were, he replied, “They used to falsely accuse others of committing sins.” (Shar-hus-Sudoor, P182)
Don't Miss any Good Virtue
Dear Islamic brothers & sisters! Did you see Allah azwajal blessed the people being punished and set them free for the sake of obedience to parents, wudu, salah, fasting, Zikr of Allah azwajal, Hajj, Umrah, behaving well with relatives, invitation to goodness and prevention from evil, charity, good character, generosity, crying due to fear of Allah azwajal, having hope in Allah azwajal etc. All these things depend upon His mercy and favour. He is omnipotent, He forgives or punishes whoever He wants, and this is His justice. If He azwajal wants, He forgives for the sake of one (little) virtue, but (remember) if He azwajal wants, He punishes for one (little) sin, and His punishment
is very severe.
You have read about the last two men mentioned in the previous Hadith. Our Dear and Beloved Rasul Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam saw the retribution being given to those who tell tales and falsely accuse people of sins and then warned his Ummah.
Therefore, the wise should not miss even a minor virtue because it might lead to your salvation; and avoid sins, no matter how minor they may seem to be.