Vijay Mallya said that he is "proud" of his Force India team after what he described as its "most complete season yet".

12563 - Mallya 'proud' of 'most complete season'

Mallya bought out the Spyker team ahead of the 2008 season, but failed to score a point in its first year. 2009 saw an improvement as impressive top speed saw Giancarlo Fisichella secure second place in Belgium and Adrian Sutil fourth at Monza, while consistent points finishes last season meant Force India missed out on sixth in the constructors' championship by just one point.

Despite being eight points shy of its 2010 total, the team currently holds a comfortable sixth place in the standings and Mallya said he thinks the car is the best it has produced.

"I think 2011 has been our most complete season yet," Mallya said. "We've developed a car that has been strong in all areas and we've given some of the bigger teams a run for their money. I'm proud of what we have achieved, which is a testament to the dedication and commitment of all the team members.

"If we can secure sixth in the championship this weekend, it will be a key milestone in the history of this team because the competitiveness of the Formula One grid is as intense as I can remember."