Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp has ruled out the possibility of selling striker Jermain Defoe during the January transfer window.

29903 - Redknapp rules out Defoe sale

Speculation over Defoe's future surfaced this week when he expressed concern that a lack of first-team football could cost him a chance to play for England at Euro 2012.

Defoe has found himself benched at Spurs in recent weeks due to the form of Emmanuel Adebayor, who is on loan from Manchester City, and Rafael van der Vaart. But Redknapp says the 29-year-old still has a part to play as Tottenham battle on multiple fronts.

"I wouldn't sell him, no - I think he's a fantastic player," Redknapp said. "We had a reserve game here in midweek, he scored five goals against Charlton and they were incredible finishes. He's a top player, he's just been unlucky.

"Emmanuel Adebayor came in and has done great upfront and I had Jermain or Rafa to play with him. Jermain was in good form at the time but Rafa has been in fantastic form, his goalscoring has been top class. So he [Defoe] has just been unlucky, as have a few of the other lads who deserve to be in the team, really.

"But the team have been playing well and we just can't change it."