Roger Federer is desperate to arrive at London 2012 in rude health so that he can claim the one major honour that has so far eluded him.

31990 - Federer prioritising Olympic glory

World No. 3 Federer has won 16 grand slam titles, but is yet to get his hands on Olympic singles gold - although he did win the doubles in Beijing. And with the 30-year-old's career beginning to wind down, he knows that the London Games could represent his final chance.

The omens are good for Federer: he finished the 2011 season in some style, beating France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the final of the ATP World Tour Finals in London on Sunday. He has not won a slam since the Australian Open in 2010, but has proved he still has plenty left in the tank.

"I have been able to win six World Tour Finals and that is an amazing feeling," he said. "I know it is one of my greatest accomplishments and this was the strongest finish I have ever had in my career.

"I am looking forward to next year, coming back to London, hopefully on three occasions and this is going to be a very important place to play good tennis. I hope to be healthy when the Olympics do come around."