Mark Allen breezed into the second round of the UK Championship and promptly whipped up a storm by launching a withering attack on World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn.

6337 - Allen launches attack on snooker chief Hearn

Allen proved too good for Adrian Gunnell in round one, winning 6-3, but he was in no mood to celebrate as he called on Hearn to quit.

A host of players, including world champion John Higgins, have voiced their concerns that the first and second rounds of the UK Championship have been cut from the best of 17 frames to the best of 11. Allen claims Hearn has gone back on a promise to leave the UK Championship alone and feels he is trying to turn snooker into darts.

"The players don't really matter, so **** the players," an angry Allen said. "When Barry came in, one of the first things he said was that the World Championships, UK and Masters wouldn't be touched. Only 18 months later, the UK format has changed.

"I don't think he's pleasing too many players, but anyone who voted for him has only got themselves to blame. I wasn't one of them.

"I've got no doubt he'll tweak the World Championship. Barry's just there to make money for himself, it doesn't really matter about the players. The whole tradition of the game is going to pot.

"It's not all about bringing people in to watch and have a good time, shouting and having a drink.

"He (Hearn) needs to get away from the darts factor. It's getting close to that. I think in the long run he'll probably do good for snooker, but not for my generation. It's time to let someone else have a go."