Wenger yet to make Bridge enquiry
Arsene Wenger is open to the idea of bringing in out-of-favour Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge on loan in a bid to help solve Arsenal's defensive crisis, although the Gunners boss says he 'hasn't yet made an enquiry' for the player.
With left-back Kieran Gibbs facing longer on the sidelines (up to a month) after yet more surgery, Arsenal's resources at the back are being stretched to the limit.
Bacary Sagna (leg) and Carl Jenkinson (back) are not expected back until mid-January at the earliest, while long-term absentee Andre Santos (ankle) is out until March. And centre-back Johan Djourou was added to the growing injury list when he was forced off during the 1-0 defeat at Manchester City on Sunday with a groin problem.
It was predicted Gibbs would be missing for two weeks in October with a stomach injury but tests later confirmed the 22-year-old had a hernia, which required surgery. The England defender was tipped for a mid-December return until he broke down earlier this week and was forced to go back under the knife.
With the January transfer window looming, Wenger is on the lookout for a temporary solution - and Bridge could fit the bill.
"I haven't made any inquiry yet for Wayne Bridge or anyone else," Wenger said. "It is of course something we will look at but it depends on how long you have to take them.
"I have to see what is available - if I have a good opportunity then why not? They have a big impact on your wages. If you have to sign a player for three or four years and then you have three or four left-backs, only one can play, so they are not happy.
"It can only be a short-term solution for us because we have bought Santos, we have Gibbs, we have Vermaelen who can play there, so we do not need a long-term solution."