Harry Redknapp has ruled out a move for Carlos Tevez as he believes it would jeopardise Tottenham Hotspur's long-term future.

29714 - Redknapp rules out Tevez bid

Redknapp has hinted in recent months that he would be keen to take Tevez to White Hart Lane, and suggested Spurs would go all out to sign a world-class player to bolster their title challenge.

Manchester City are now desperately attempting to sell Tevez, with Milan's loan offer deemed unsuitable, but the limits of the wage structure at Tottenham mean the deal is unrealistic.

"I like him. He is a great player," Redknapp said. "He is fantastic - a battler, a real talent - but we are not going to be able to get him. It's not happening. We are not pursuing it.

"The chairman won't put the club in trouble for one player. His wages would be astronomical."

One player Redknapp will be counting on is Ledley King. The injury-troubled centre-back has played 11 games already this season - two more than he did throughout last season - and Spurs have not lost a game with King in the side since August 2010.

Redknapp had suggested his contract, which is due to expire in the summer, would only be renewed if he played 20 games, but that no longer appears to be the case.

"He's part of the furniture, he's a big part of this football club and I'm sure the chairman knows that as well," Redknapp said. "I'm sure he will look after him. I don't see Ledley leaving here. He hasn't got to play 20 games.

"If he plays 12, 14 or 16 games, I don't think anyone's going to go: 'Well, you didn't reach 20'. There's enough goodwill towards Ledley here for what he's been through and what he is. If he only plays ten games the chances are you might win the ten."

Meanwhile, Spurs are set to be boosted by the return of Michael Dawson in the upcoming FA Cup third round tie with Cheltenham.

The England centre-back has returned to training after four months out with an Achilles injury and Redknapp said: "It's great to see Michael back. He's a great guy, a great player and a great pro."