Celtic avoided any hint of a post-Old Firm clash hangover with a comfortable 3-0 victory against bottom side Dunfermline.

33122 - Stokes and Mulgrew shine for Celtic

Anthony Stokes gave the Hoops an ideal start to the new year at East End Park with a neat curling finish from Georgios Samaras' knockdown after 18 minutes before Victor Wanyama fired home a crisp volley from Charlie Mulgrew's free kick with half-time approaching.

Mulgrew proved even deadlier with the dead ball in the second half, scoring a fine 22-yard free kick to put Celtic three up before Emilio Izaguirre capped a fine afternoon for the league leaders by coming off the bench to return from the broken ankle he picked up early in the season.

Rangers kept the pressure on with a 3-0 win of their own against third-placed Motherwell. David Healy was on hand to open the scoring at Ibrox after just 10 minutes before Sone Aluko scored his first goal for the club with a cool finish from the edge of the box early in the second half.

Stephen Craigan completed a wretched afternoon for the visitors, the Motherwell captain sending Wallace's shot past his own keeper on 73 minutes to end the match as a contest.

With St Johnstone's trip to Inverness Caledonian Thistle falling victim to waterlogging at a snowy Caledonian Stadium, Hearts moved up to fourth on goal difference after claiming bragging rights in the capital with a 3-1 win against Hibernian.

Ian Black saw his penalty saved by Hibernian keeper Graham Stack at the end of a first half short on quality before the contest burst into life after the interval. Ryan McGowan finally broke the deadlock for the visitors on the hour mark, heading home the rebound after Andy Webster's effort, only to see Marius Zaliukas put the ball into his own net seconds later.

But Hearts made sure they extended their unbeaten run in Edinburgh derby to nine matches with two late strikes, Webster restoring their lead with a low drive in the 83rd minute before Rudi Skacel punished Hibs on the break in stoppage time.

Kari Arnason's incredible strike sent the visiting Aberdeen fans into raptures at Tannadice as the Dons snatched a 2-1 win away at Dundee United.

Aberdeen substitute Mohamed Chalali had cancelled out Jon Daly's early goal midway through the second half, heading home Rory McArdle's flick-on from a throw-in just seconds after coming on before Arnason unleashed a 40-yard shot that cannoned off the underside of United keeper Dusan Pernis' bar four minutes from time.

Danny Racchi left it even later to seal the points for Kilmarnock, chipping home with a minute remaining to complete a 2-1 comeback against St Mirren.

Lee Mair had headed the Buddies into a deserved lead after 10 minutes before Paul Heffernan scored on the turn shortly after the half-hour.