Chelsea assistant manager Roberto Di Matteo says there is little chance Frank Lampard will leave the club in the January transfer window, insisting "he'll be very important for us".

32578 - We need Lampard to stay - Di Matteo

Lampard has been unable to hold down a regular starting berth in Chelsea's line-up this season, and the midfielder has expressed his frustration at not featuring as much as he would like.

Reports have surfaced that Manchester United may be about to swoop for the 33-year-old, but Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed talk of the player, who has scored nine goals this season, moving to Old Trafford.

With Chelsea 11 points adrift of league leaders Manchester City, the Blues will need to hit top form from now until the end of the season to stand any chance of overhauling those above them. And Di Matteo is desperate to keep hold of the club's star players, including Lampard.

"I can't see him leaving this club," Di Matteo said. "He has been here for 10 years and he's part of the successful history of this club. I don't know what the future will hold but at the moment I can't see him going anywhere, he is part of our plans and he'll be very important for us.

"We are very happy Frank is in our team. He's a fantastic player and has been a fantastic player season after season for this club and for his country.

"It is not a surprise other managers like him. It is not [unsettling] for us. He's old enough to deal with these kind of stories and so are we."