Merseyside police are investigating an incident of alleged abuse from fans towards Oldham Athletic defender Tom Adeyemi, which former Latics man Reuben Hazell has claimed was of a racist nature.

33273 - Adeyemi racially abused at Liverpool - Hazell

During Liverpool's 5-1 win over Oldham in the FA Cup on Friday, Adeyemi - who is on loan from Norwich - recoiled in shock and had to be restrained by players from both sides. The game was stopped briefly while Adeyemi alerted referee Neil Swarbrick to the incident.

A police spokesman said: "The force and Liverpool Football Club are investigating following an incident that occurred during the second half of the game.

"The aim of the investigation is to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident to ascertain if any action needs to be taken."

Hazell was at Anfield and entered the Oldham dressing room after the game to speak to former team-mates and stated Adeyemi told him the comments from the crowd were racially motivated.

Writing on his Twitter feed, Hazell said: "After the game I went into the Oldham dressing room to catch up with my old mates and spoke to Tom Adeyemi directly about what the altercation with the fan was all about. He said he was racially abused by the fan. This is FACT.

"As a 20-year-old I thought he managed the situation extremely well and it was sad that the incident reduced him to tears in what should of been the happiest day of his footballing career to date."

Oldham captain Dean Furman has had his say on the incident, saying it "should not happen in the game" and has labelled it a "disgrace".

"He was abused and I'll leave it to Tom and the police to investigate that," Furman told BBC Radio Manchester. "What happened should not happen in the game.

"It has been highlighted over the last few months and it is an absolute disgrace."

When pressed as to whether the abuse was of a racial nature, Furman added: "It is difficult for me to say anything.

"When one of your boys is down like that we all feel it.

"Tom, the authorities and police will sort out the situation.

"I hope the authorities take heavy action because it was a disgrace.

"A lot of credit goes to Tom for the way he handled the situation."