Roberto Mancini is confident that Manchester City will win their appeal against Vincent Kompany's red card in Sunday's 3-2 defeat to Manchester United in the FA Cup third round.

33335 - Manchester City to appeal Kompany's red

City captain Kompany was dismissed after 11 minutes for a two-footed tackle on Nani; he did not make contact with the player, but left his feet to make the challenge. As Kompany has already been sent off once this season, he faces the prospect of a four-game suspension.

"We will appeal," said Mancini. "I am sure we will win."

Chris Foy was the referee who opted to dismiss Kompany but, despite announcing his intention to contest the decision, Mancini refused to criticise Foy. "I don't want to talk about the referee because I want to stay on the bench for the next game. But I think it is impossible."

Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, agreed with Foy's decision and said that Kompany was a serial offender when it came to dangerous challenges. "It was a sending-off," he said.

"It was a two-footed tackle. I have seen him do it before. He has got off with it in the past. But if Nani gets caught, he has a problem. It was a real bad one."