Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jnr will finally share the same ring on May 5, if the words of both Pacquiao and promoter Bob Arum are to be believed.

30741 - Pacquiao demands Mayweather Jnr as next opponent

After a Las Vegas judge ruled that Mayweather could begin his jail sentence on June 1, there is seemingly nothing - other than negotiations - standing in the way of a Pacquiao v Mayweather bout on the initially pencilled-in May 5 date.

Arum, who spoke to last Wednesday, revealed he would be meeting with Pacquiao to discuss his next opponent, listing at the time four options - not including Mayweather who was expected to be unavailable. Those options included Juan Manuel Marquez, Miguel Cotto, Lamont Peterson and Timothy Bradley.

"I'll sit with Manny and explain everything to him, tell him what I think each of these fights would do on pay-per-view," Arum said. "We'll talk about what (trainer) Freddie [Roach] thinks and about what (Top Rank matchmaker) Bruce [Trampler] thinks. Then I'll let Manny make the decision on which opponent he wants to fight, which I am sure he will do while I am there."

The crucial words uttered by Arum were "I'll let Manny make the decision", given that on Tuesday Pacquiao insisted that he wants Mayweather. Talking to, the Filipino fighter seemed to hint that the mega-fight would only fail to happen if the decision was taken out of his hands.

"I've said this over and over before and I'm saying this again, I want Floyd Mayweather Jnr to be my next opponent and I haven't changed my choice despite recent developments," Pacquiao said.

"I am meeting with my promoter, Bob Arum, and I will insist that the fight with Mayweather be given the preference. Whoever the fans want me to fight, I will face him atop the ring.

"[However] I don't choose the fight. It is my promoter who does because it's his job. My job is to fight, everybody must realise that."