Steven Gerrard is so content with life at Liverpool he is already eyeing another contract, despite having only just extended his stay at Anfield.

33265 - New Liverpool contract may not be Gerrard's last

The Liverpool captain put pen to paper on Thursday, signing a fresh deal that will keep him at the club for the foreseeable future. At 31, Gerrard is still hoping he has many more years at the top, and is not ruling out the possibility of inking another deal at some point down the line.

"I'm hoping to play beyond the length of this contract," he told the Liverpool Echo. "I'm feeling fit and strong and I want to play for as long as I can. I don't want to put any time frame on it. As long as I feel good and I'm performing at the top level I'll keep going.

"Hopefully over the next few years I'll earn another contract with my performances. But even if Liverpool don't offer me another contract after this one I don't think I could play for anyone else. I've been at this club since I was eight and I'm living the dream."

Reds manager Kenny Dalglish is optimistic his skipper - who will be 32 in May - could carry on playing into his late 30s, as Manchester United's Ryan Giggs has managed to do.

"You have to wait and see how they get through injuries," Dalglish said. "Giggs is 38, isn't he? That's seven years down the line - that's a long time to predict - but if he's fit there's no reason why not.

"I've not got a crystal ball. I'm just delighted he's done what he's done and we have got him here."

The question of who is Liverpool's greatest ever player is open to debate, but Dalglish believes Gerrard is definitely among the contenders.

"I wouldn't disagree he has certainly made a huge contribution to the club but he wouldn't be far away from being mentioned as the best player," he added. "It is not just what he does in and around the first team it is what he stands for the football club as well - which is more important. His standing within the community is fantastic and the way he does other work happily is a great testimony to himself as well."