Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has confirmed that striker Jermain Defoe has asked to leave the club - but insists no player in the squad will be allowed to leave in January.

33298 - Spurs won't allow frustrated Defoe to leave

Redknapp is reluctant to tinker with his resources in the current transfer window, as he has seen Spurs rise to within three points of league leaders Manchester City in the Premier League title race.

But Emmanuel Adebayor's arrival on loan has seen fellow forward Defoe drop down the pecking order - and the 29-year-old is now desperate to move on and find regular first team football in a bid to ensure he forces his way into England's Euro 2012 squad.

Redknapp, however, insists Defoe is still a key part of his plans at White Hart Lane and will not be allowed to leave - even on a temporary basis.

"[Chairman] Daniel [Levy] spoke to his agent who said he is not happy because he wants to play and he has got a few clubs in for him," Redknapp said. "I am sure he has got a few clubs in for him but we are not selling him.

"He is saying this club wants him and that club wants him - that is how they make their money. He is not moving anywhere, though. He is on contract here and is a big player for us."

He added: "Jermain wants to play in the Euros but so does Rafa [van der Vaart]. He wants to play for Holland so he feels he has to play. I would not consider letting him out on loan."

Redknapp acknowledged that it might prove difficult to keep his current squad together for much longer, however, as rival sides with greater financial clout try to lure Spurs' best players with more lucrative offers.

"If someone comes along and offers players a contract that could blow their current one out of the water, it's very difficult," he noted. "They are not going to say, 'I was born in Croatia [as Luka Modric was] but I have always wanted to play for Tottenham'.

"If someone offers to treble a player's wages, you've got a problem, haven't you? We're not in a position to pay £40m or pay £200k a week."