World No. 5 David Ferrer admits he is feeling the effects of a successful week in New Zealand after winning the Heineken Open on Saturday.

33521 - David Ferrer tired after winning third Auckland crown

Top seed Ferrer beat the unseeded Belgian Olivier Rochus 6-3 6-4 to claim a third title in Auckland, having won the event in 2007 and last year. Ferrer won 81 per cent of points on his first serve as he wrapped up victory over world No. 68 Rochus in an hour and 35 minutes.

However, despite dropping just one set en route to his 12th career title, Ferrer admits he is suffering for his exertions in New Zealand ahead of the Australian Open, which starts on Monday.

"I feel tired, very tired. I ran a lot this week," Ferrer said. "But it's the first time I've won three times in the same tournament and so this is my favourite tournament. For me to win a tournament three times is very special."

Meanwhile, at the Kooyong Classic exhibition event in Melbourne, home favourite Bernard Tomic gave his Australian Open preparations a boost with victory over Mardy Fish.

The 19-year-old, who plays Fernando Verdasco in the first round of the Australian Open on Monday, beat the American 6-4 3-6 7-5 to win the invitational warm-up tournament, while Jurgen Melzer beat Gael Monfils 6-3 6-7(10) 6-2 for third place.