3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

asking Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa

18 January 2012 Last updated at 00:55 GMT

In pictures: Combating drought in the Horn of Africa

In association with
    817 grey - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa

•  57955454 69830 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa Drought continues to threaten the lives of as many as 13 million people living in the Horn of Africa and many are struggling to continue their pastoral lifestyle. Photographer Alejandro Chaskielberg has been to the region for Oxfam who are are running a number of aid projects that offer long-term support to those in need.
    •  57955455 69826 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa One of the projects involves Oxfam working closely with mothers, helping them provide for their families by creating plots of land suitable for cultivation.
    •  57955456 69824 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa The gardening project is under way in three villages in the northern areas of Turkana. Elisabeth lives with her eight children and supports her family alone since her husband died. She said: "I appreciate pastoralism but animals are not sustainable any more. When there is drought, your animals die and you are left with nothing. If I could make one thing happen it would be to have my own business and earn money."
    •  57955457 69829 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa The irrigated plots of land are just one example of taking action early to combat the effects of drought. A joint report by Oxfam and Save the Children has said that the severe drought in the region should have been addressed in advance.
    •  57955458 69831 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa The report adds that the international community and national governments must seize the momentum and commit to change now, insisting that risks need to be managed, rather than the crisis.
    •  57955459 69827 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa Selina Napetet is one who has benefited from the Oxfam programme: "When it doesn't rain all the water points dry up, the fruits don't ripen and the animals die. There isn't much you can do to survive. We used to eat one meal a day and my children used to cry because they were hungry. When I started working in the vegetable garden I could use the vegetables to feed my children. I can use the money from selling vegetables to send them to school and buy them books."
    •  57955460 69822 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa John lives near the village of Lomekui by Lake Turkana with his two wives and 10 children. He is traditionally a pastoralist but has found things difficult during the drought. Most of his animals have died, leaving him struggling to feed his family. John received four camels and 20 goats as part of Oxfam's camel restocking programme. He said: "It is challenging living here with this drought, the livestock don't produce anything any more and I have very few options. I remember laughing when Oxfam gave me my camels. In the future I want to expand and grow my camels and goats."
    •  57955461 69821 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa Alejandro Chaskielberg's photographs are taken using moonlight supplemented with artificial lighting, you can learn more about his technique by following the link below this gallery.

57916583 69830 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa
     57916459 69826 - Pictires of combating drought in Horn of Africa
    Drought continues to threaten the lives of as many as 13 million people living in the Horn of Africa and many are struggling to continue their pastoral lifestyle. Photographer Alejandro Chaskielberg has been to the region for Oxfam who are are running a number of aid projects that offer long-term support to those in need.

Next image |
    Previous image |
    |

Last edited by R. M. Dixit; 18-01-2012 at 04:04 PM.