Andy Murray's second-round opponent, Edouard Roger-Vasselin, has warned the world No. 4 he will be taking tips from the likes of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Gael Monfils on how to take on the Scot at the Australian Open.

33512 - Murray's Anglophile opponent swotting up on Brit

Murray has never met the world No. 101, but has an astonishing 37-1 record against French players since his first-round defeat to Tsonga at the Australian Open in 2008. Playing in the second round in Melbourne for the first time, Roger-Vasselin intends to ask advice of the top French players who have experience of playing the Scot.

"I know about his run so I have to change maybe to a new tactic," said Roger-Vasselin. "There are a lot of French guys who are top players who can give me some advice. So I'll talk with some of the French guys and I'll see what they say."

Roger-Vasselin, whose father Christophe reached the semi-finals of the 1983 French Open, may be a proud Frenchman, but his grandmother was English and he admits to having a soft spot for Britain.

"My grandmother was totally English - she lived not far from Putney Bridge so I used to go to London when I was a kid for Christmas or stuff like this, so I love England," Roger-Vasselin said.

"When I was a kid when I was with my grandmother I always spoke in English. She married a Frenchman. They carried on living in London at first - My father was brought up in England until he was 15 - but then my father moved to France.

"But I feel a lot of affection for Britain. When I was a kid I often went to London for the weekend and I always love going back to England for the grass season."

Murray had never played first-round opponent Ryan Harrison and took a while to suss out his opponent, dropping the first set before beating the teenager in four sets. And the British No. 1, who has reached the final for the last two years in Melbourne, will be keen to avoid a second-round scalp against another unknown quantity.

"I don't know too much about him but he's been on the tour for a while," Murray said. "He's playing the best tennis of his career just now, so I'm going to need to play well but hopefully I can get another win."