Paris St Germain manager Carlo Ancelotti is hopeful that the club can sign a striker in the January transfer window and made it clear that Carlos Tevez is high on his shortlist.

33445 - Tevez top of Ancelotti's striker wishlist

Tevez's representatives have opened talks with the club, who have become one of the main players in European football after a summer takeover by Qatar Sports Investments and are one of the few clubs with the financial muscle to recruit the Argentine.

The striker, 27, is hoping to seal a move away from Manchester City, but the Premier League leaders are determined to ensure the price is right in order to avoid suffering too great a loss on their outlay on the player in the summer of 2009. Still, the French club are interested.

Ancelotti said: ''Everyone knows that we want a striker. Carlos Tevez - it's a great opportunity for us to have a great striker. Today Tevez isn't playing for Manchester City, but he wants to play.

"Today, nothing is done. We have to talk with the player, and with Manchester City. We hope to find a good solution.''

Ancelotti is staying out of negotiations, though, as he explained: ''I haven't had him on the phone, not him or his agent. It's [director of football] Leonardo who is looking after that.''

Should Tevez sign for the French giants, Ancelotti is convinced he would soon be ready for first-team duty, despite his long stretch without a competitive match.

''Tevez isn't a problem. He is a great player. In 15 days he could get back into great physical condition,'' Ancelotti said. ''If Tevez doesn't come, we have the possibility of buying another striker. In January it's harder to get players. And at the end of the month, the transfer window is over. I look forward to it ending, because I am very stressed.''

Inter Milan and AC Milan have also expressed an interest in signing Argentina international, with Inter president Massimo Moratti having been in touch with the City earlier this month to confirm they would be willing to pay £20.7 million for Tevez.

Although such a deal would have the significant advantage of being a straight transfer, rather than a loan - which City have consistently refused to entertain - it still falls short of the club's valuation.