Guingamp striker Anthony Knockaert has claimed that Newcastle United are in talks with his agent, describing the Magpies' interest as "flattering".

23404 - Guingamp forward claims Newcastle interest

Knockaert, 20, is believed to have been on Newcastle's radar for some time, and has been tipped to join Alan Pardew's French revolution on Tyneside.

The Magpies have a strong French contingent to their squad - Gabriel Obertan, Sylvain Marveaux, Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa - while Demba Ba and new signing Papiss Demba Cisse are from French-speaking Senegal.

And France Under-20 international Knockaert could be set to add to the Gallic feel at St James' Park, should discussions between the player's agent and Newcastle progress further.

"They are in touch with my agent," Knockaert told FootMercato. "Now, I take care of my own work and nothing else. My agent does not put all that in my mind so I can continue to work in the best way.

"Yes, sure it's flattering. But I will not give up until one day I am at the highest level. But now I work for the team."