Andy Murray has described his passage into the quarter finals of the Australian Open as "perfect" but is aware of the need to work hard in order not to lose rhythm.

33988 - Andy Murray wary of taking eye off the ball

The British No. 1 has dropped just one set on his way to the quarter finals, that being his opening set of the tournament to Ryan Harrison, and he spent just 49 minutes on court in disposing of Mikhail Kukushkin who retired when two sets down.

With the temperatures ramping up in Melbourne, the draw has been kind to Murray who is due to meet Kei Nishikori in the quarter finals following the Japanese star's five-set slugfest with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Asked about how his passage through the tournament has been, he said: "It's perfect because you conserve energy."

Murray will go away and work on his game with coach Ivan Lendl, aware that he needs to keep his level high, with world No. 1 Novak Djokovic potentially awaiting in the semi-finals.

He said: "You just need to make sure you hit enough balls to make sure you don't lose any rhythm. Because there was no rallies out there, I need to make sure I move around a little bit so I don't stiffen up in any way.

"I thought each round I played a little bit better. I didn't feel good at all in my first match. I managed to get through, and then started serving better, started moving better. That's good. I'll definitely be fresh for the next few rounds hopefully. I just need to make sure I do the right things the next couple days to get ready for the quarters. I'll go practice, work on a few things."