Andy Murray admits he will have to execute his game plan to the letter if he is to beat Novak Djokovic to reach his third straight Australian Open final.

34105 - I need to take Djokovic's legs away - Murray

Murray's quarter-final victory over Kei Nishikori saw the British No. 1 reach his fifth consecutive grand slam semi-final, and while a major title continues to elude him, Murray believes his consistency is the key to finally breaking his drought.

"It's been a good run, it's not easy to do," Murray said. "It's good to see that I've been playing my best tennis at the slams because that's something the last couple of years I wanted to make sure I was doing.

"That wasn't always the case and it's good to see [the hard work] has been paying off. I've been preparing the best I could for them and thankfully the tennis has been good as well."

Having fallen to Djokovic in straight sets in last year's final at the start of what proved to be a spectacular year for the Serb, Murray knows he will need to step up his game against the world No. 1.

"You have to play great tennis and try to take his legs away," Murray said. "I will need to have a game plan, stay focused and try to do better than I did last year."

If Murray can find a way past Djokovic, the Scot will meet nemesis Rafael Nadal in the final, after the Spaniard beat Roger Federer in four sets on Thursday. The world No. 2 has beaten Murray in his last three grand slam semi-finals.