Kimi Raikkonen is confident Lotus has the potential to win championships again, but is not sure about a timeframe.

13272 - Lotus has 'tools' to return to winning ways - Raikkonen

The team has won both drivers' and constructors' titles in the last two decades under the guises of Benetton and Renault, but its last victory came in 2008 and it has slipped into the midfield since.

Team boss Eric Boullier has a three-year plan to turn Lotus into a winning outfit, but when Raikkonen was asked how long he thought it would take he would not be drawn.

"I don't know, I don't think anybody knows for sure. The team has a lot of hunger to do well and to get back to winning ways, winning championships and races. It's not easy otherwise everybody would do it, but there are people who want to get back there and they've done it before."

But he added: "They have all the tools to do it and it's just getting everything right. Hopefully it will happen soon, but everybody is hungry for more."

Raikkonen has faced persistent questions about his motivation since announcing his return, and once again he was forced to face his critics at the media launch of the 2012 car.

When it was put to him that he was not having fun when he left the sport in 2009, Raikkonen said: "That was all your opinion. I would have left earlier if I wasn't having fun. I've always said that I enjoy the racing and that I'm very happy to race. There are a lot of stories about motivation and that kind of thing, but I've never had any issues with that. I don't think that I look at Formula One any different. It's a new year and there are different things from the last few years, but I know this sport and I know how things work."