Former England captain John Terry has been targeted for a potential charity fight by one of the country's leading mixed martial artists, Ross Pearson.

33184 - UFC star Pearson offers to fight John Terry

Terry has found himself at the centre of a media storm over the past week, after the FA opted to strip him of the England captaincy. The Chelsea man has been accused of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, but when his trial date was set for after Euro 2012, the FA decided to act by standing down the skipper. Terry has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The FA's decision continues to dominate the back pages of English newspapers, after England boss Fabio Capello angrily stated that he still considers Terry to be his captain. The Italian now faces a Wednesday meeting with his employers to sort out the disagreement.

Pearson, who is one of England's most successful representatives across fight sports, currently finds himself in contention for a featherweight title shot in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Should he one day achieve his goal of winning UFC gold, he will become the first Briton in history to do so.

The Sunderland-born fighter is convinced Terry should have taken the decision upon himself to stand down as England captain, until he can clear his name at the July trial. And Pearson admits a charity fight against the Chelsea man, in the style of Ricky Gervais' clash with Grant Bovey five years ago, would appeal greatly.

"I think it was the right decision [to strip Terry of the armband], definitely," Pearson told Fighters Only magazine.

"The right approach would have been to stand up, be a man, resign the captaincy while this scandal and investigation is going on and then, if he is cleared, he could take it up again instead of dragging the England captaincy through the mud the way it is now.

"Sometimes you see these charity boxing matches and so on? I think it would be great if the UFC did something like that and I think there would be a LOT of people who would like to see me go up against John Terry if they did. I would soon knock some sense into him.

"Or let me play in one of these charity football matches against him, I'd definitely put a few good tackles in on him and give him a knock or two, see how tough he is then."