Romain Grosjean says that Lotus is in a healthy position but warned against comparing it too much against the rest of the field.

13353 - Grosjean 'trusts' new Lotus

The new Lotus was quickest of the 2012 cars with Grosjean at the wheel on day three of the first test in Jerez, as Nico Rosberg led the way in the 2011 Mercedes. Havnig set a best lap 0.8s quicker than Sebastian Vettel's RB8 Grosjean admitted that he would rather be near the top of the timesheets, but said a potential order can't be drawn from testing and all he knows is how good his own car is.

"Sure it's better to be first than last - that's clear - but we can't draw complete qualy from the testing," Grosjean said. "But the main thing is the car is quite good, I enjoyed the day a lot which is the main thing. And the car is good to drive, that's the first good information. It's reliable as well, which is good, so we're trying to keep working and keep improving ourselves and see what we can do until the first qualy in Melbourne."

When told of Lewis Hamilton's comments that his fastest lap looked like "a good qualifying time", Grosjean said that he wouldn't give away if it was a low fuel run.

"We had some fuel in the car; we had fuel to run it! I will not tell you how much, but the car looks good on track, it's good to drive and it's quite good so far."

Having driven last year's Renault in Friday practice towards the end of the season, Grosjean said that the E20 was an improvement.

"I think this one is much more predictable and the handling is very good in the fast corners. You can really trust the car and push yourself to the limit. And if you make a mistake it's not a big deal, you will miss the apex but you're not going to go for a spin, hopefully! So that's the first good point; you can trust the car which is very important to go fast."

Grosjean did admit that the performance show so far had led to a good vibe in the Lotus team.

"Everybody's enjoying the time. I spent quite a lot of time at the factory with the guys and I saw the car from the beginning to the complete car. Everybody's at the moment very happy to be here, I think the atmosphere is quite good and everybody is happy to work in a good atmosphere. And hopefully if there is a good car it will be even better."