Stanford 20/20 gets go-ahead
ST JOHN'S: The 20-million-dollar Stanford 20/20, the world's richest cricket match which had been in danger because of a bitter row over commercial rights, will go-ahead as planned, organisers said on Thursday.
The match, between the Stanford Supertars and England, had been thrown into doubt after a High Court hearing had backed objections made by West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) sponsors Digicel.
The telecommunications company argued that the WICB had entered an agreement with Stanford that "wholly compromises the exclusive rights granted to Digicel as principal sponsors of West Indies cricket".
That legal decision meant that either the match would have to be called off or that the Stanford Superstars side would be weakened by the withdrawal of most of the leading West Indian players.
But the match, the highlight of the week-long Stanford Super Series, will now take place as scheduled on November 1 after talks between the two sides proved successful.
"Following the recent findings of the arbitrator in the dispute between the West Indies Cricket Board and Digicel, Stanford 20/20 and Digicel held a series of extremely productive discussions during which they each committed to achieve a successful outcome for both their organisations and, most importantly, cricket in the West Indies," said a Stanford statement.
Sir Allen Stanford, the man behind the cricket revolution in the Caribbean, said: "I am pleased with both parties' solution-oriented approach and most importantly that this matter has been finally resolved.
"We look forward to welcoming fans from around the world to the Stanford Cricket Ground to enjoy a fantastic week of cricket."
Re: Stanford 20/20 gets go-ahead