Thread: Whelan tells Chelsea to look at Wigan

Ithay Uthay
    34 Post(s)
    6055 Thread(s)
    Default Whelan tells Chelsea to look at Wigan

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has assured manager Roberto Martinez his job is safe, following clear-the-air talks on Monday.

2157 - Whelan tells Chelsea to look at Wigan

The Latics are propping up the Premier League table and Whelan spoke of his frustration with Martinez's team selection for the defeat to Swansea.

The pair held a meeting on Monday, where Martinez explained why the likes of Victor Moses and Hugo Rodallega were left on the bench. Whelan has accepted his manager's reasoning and backed him to turn things around.

"I am always behind Roberto, I think Roberto is a fantastic manager," Whelan told Sky Sports News. "He is, I believe, one of the finest managers in Europe."

Reflecting on the defeat to Swansea, Whelan said: "I could feel the unease in our crowd.

"Wigan Athletic supporters are faithful, they have been supporting us since we were in the old Fourth Division. A lot of them have been here longer than me and you could feel the unease.

"What I don't want is for them to get the wrong idea that I think Roberto is picking the wrong team. He has to leave three lads on the bench and I wanted to know the reason, and I accepted the reason totally. Those boys had been travelling for 10 hours."

Whelan feels Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, who is on the lookout for a new manager following his decision to axe Andre Villas-Boas, would do well to take a look at his Wigan model.

"Chelsea are a different club than the rest of us," Whelan said. "It is a Russian gentleman running that club and he has his own ideas. It is very strange that you can select managers and sack them so quickly. It must have cost him a fortune.

"It is not good for the club. You want continuity and a manager you can trust. From time to time that manager will have problems and lose games and I think you've got to have respect and patience."
    mera libas hai tu zps3e44c641 - Whelan tells Chelsea to look at Wigan

Kallar Syedan
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Default Re: Whelan tells Chelsea to look at Wigan