Telenor Customers to Browse Wikipedia for Free
Through an agreement between Telenor Group and the Wikimedia Foundation signed today, Telenor customers throughout Asia and Southeastern Europe will be able to access Wikipedia.com on their phones for free, i.e. no charges for data traffic at all (as long as there are on Wikipedia.com).
How to Use Wikipedia for Free?
- When implemented (It might take couple of months to get this partnership implemented), customers with a Telenor SIM will be able to access wikipedia.com for free.
- You will be able to visit wikipedia.com as many times as you want
- You will be able to browse wikipedia.com from your phone using any phone browser, or app.
- External links on wikipedia.com will be charged as per usual tariff
- Access to all other web pages (except wikipedia.com) will be charged as per usual tariffs.
When Can you use Wikipedia for Free?
As mentioned above, the agreement was signed today and implementation of this partnership is in process now. Telenor Pakistan told me that a it could take couple of months to work out the technical modalities for making wikipedia.com accessible for free. Ideally, it is expected that all this would be done by April 2012.
A statement issued by Telenor said that this three year partnership between Telenor Group and the Wikimedia Foundation will cover 135 million users. The agreement is signed by seven countries: Thailand, Malaysia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Montenegro, and Serbia.
By the end of the year, more markets are expected to join. The agreement will be implemented step by step throughout 2012, with the first markets launching during the second quarter.
This initiative is part of the Wikimedia Foundation’s mobile strategy, which focuses on reaching the billions of people around the world whose primary opportunity to access the Internet is via a mobile device.
Re: Telenor Customers to Browse Wikipedia for Free