Serena Williams required less than an hour to dispatch US Open winner Sam Stosur in the semi-finals of the Family Circle Cup.

36712 - Serena puts Stosur to the sword

The former world No. 1 described her 6-1 6-1 thrashing of Stosur as one of the best wins of her career as she cantered into the final of the Charleston event. At one point midway through the match, Williams claimed nine straight games and took revenge on Stosur for her US Open exit in 2011.

After falling behind from the opening point of the match, Stosur aimed to claw her way back into the contest by holding serve to make it 2-1. However, the fightback was short lived as Williams used her powerful groundstrokes to dominate from the back of the court, stealing away the first set with ease.

The Williams onslaught continued into the second set, with the 13-time grand slam winner thundering down seven aces to leave Stosur with no answers. A scithing forehand winner completed the comfortable win for Williams, who is aiming for her first WTA title of the year after returning to the world's top 10 last week.

"I have to say this is probably the best match I've played in my career, either in a long time or it's up there in the top five," Williams said. "You know, I think it was just one of those days that I could have done anything against anybody,"

Williams will take on Lucie Safarova in the decider following her 6-0 6-0 demolition of Polona Hercog. Safarova, 25, will be hoping to notch her first win over Williams after being defeated by the American in their previous four encounters.