Novak Djokovic has admitted he felt so drained that he "just wasn't there" in his Monte Carlo Masters final against Rafael Nadal on Sunday.

372592 - I just wasn't there against Rafa - Djokovic

Djokovic, who learned on Thursday that his grandfather had died, was unable to prevent Nadal snatching an eighth title at the event. The Spaniard closed out a routine 6-3 6-1 triumph.

"I had no emotional energy left in me," Djokovic said. "It was a bad day. I just wasn't there. I've never been caught up in this kind of emotional situation before. It's been a very difficult week for me to go through mentally. I won three matches since the news [about his grandfather]. I think I did pretty well."

Nadal, a winner of 42 matches on the bounce in Monte Carlo, claimed there had been occasions in the past when he had felt below-par against Djokovic.

"Yes, Djokovic wasn't the real best Djokovic," Nadal said. "In other finals that I played against him, I wasn't my real best, too. But the real best are both. My real best is when I play well and when I play bad.

"The real Rafa is not only when I play my best. The real Rafa is when I play well, when I don't play that well. If I take that for myself, it has to be the same for others. Sometimes you play fantastic, sometimes you play normal, sometimes you play worst."

Men's rankings: 1. Novak Djokovic (SRB), 2. Rafael Nadal (SPA), 3. Roger Federer (SUI), 4. Andy Murray (GBR), 5. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA), 6. David Ferrer (SPA), 7. Tomas Berdych (CZE), 8. Janko Tipsarevic (SRB), 9. Mardy Fish (USA), 10. Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG).

Women's rankings: 1. Victoria Azarenka (BLR), 2. Maria Sharapova (RUS), 3. Petra Kvitova (CZE), 4. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL), 5. Sam Stosur (AUS), 6. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN), 7. Marion Bartoli (FRA), 8. Li Na (CHN), 9. Serena Williams (USA), 10. Vera Zvonareva (RUS).