Great Britain missed out on promotion to World Group II of the Fed Cup as Laura Robson lost to Sofia Arvidsson on Sunday.

336352 - Robson unable to prevent British defeat

Sweden began the day knowing they needed to win just one more rubber to seal victory in the tie, having triumphed in both of Saturday's contests.

And that success came as Robson fell to a 6-4-1-6 6-3 reverse against Arvidsson in two hours and three minutes on court in Sweden.

Robson said: "I'm pretty upset but my team-mates are proud of me. Maybe in a few days I'll think it was a pretty good effort but right now I'm devastated."

Robson was a late replacement for Elena Baltacha, who struggled for fitness during her straight-sets loss to Johanna Larsson on Saturday. It was Robson's first singles contest in the competition.

She showed plenty of fight in the match, and was well on top throughout the second frame, but the home crowd ultimately carried Arvidsson over the line in the deciding set.

Robson's first-serve percentage was low - 59%, as compared to her opponent's 71% - and she won less than half of the points on her second delivery, which meant losing games she could not afford to.

The last time Great Britain played a World Group match was in 1993 - and that streak is set to continue for now. Britain will play in Europe/Africa Zone Group I next year.

In the fourth rubber, Johanna Larsson sank Anne Keothavong 7-6(6) 3-6 6-4, but Sweden were denied a whitewash when Elena Baltacha and Heather Watson paired up to win the doubles 7-6(3) 6-1.