Lewis Hamilton is targeting another solid points haul at the Monaco Grand Prix as he aims to continue his consistent start to the season.

14539 - Hamilton targets consistency over Monaco gamble

Hamilton finished third at the first three races of the season and has finished eighth at the last two, although only due to errors by his McLaren team. Had it not been for a refuelling issue during qualifying at the Spanish Grand Prix, he would have stood a good chance to win from pole position, but instead had to fight from the back of the grid.

Hamilton, who had a tumultuous weekend in Monaco last year after receiving two penalties for causing collisions, insists he is sticking to his plan of picking up consistent points rather than take risks to secure a win.

"It's important not to lose sight of the fact that, despite pushing for the win, consistency and scoring decent points is currently the most sensible way to tackle this world championship," Hamilton said. "I've scored points at every race, and I'm only eight points off the lead of the championship. That's a really encouraging statistic and it's reassuring to see my approach is paying off.

"Nevertheless, I'm coming off the back of two relatively disappointing results and there would be no better place for the cards to fall in my favour than at Monaco."

Hamilton's McLaren team-mate Jenson Button struggled to get his tyres working in Spain but is confident he can solve his problems in Monaco.

"While our car isn't especially suited to the tighter confines of a track like Monaco, I'm optimistic of getting on top of the balance issues that have affected me for the past two races," Button said. "It's going to be a fantastic weekend."