Kimi Raikkonen is targeting a strong qualifying performance in Monaco next weekend to give himself the best possible opportunity of scoring a decent result.

10268 - Qualifying still key to Monaco - Raikkonen

The tight and twisty circuit is notoriously difficult to overtake on and despite tyre strategy playing a big part in racing this season, the Lotus driver thinks pole position will carry its usual premium on the street circuit.

"We have to focus on qualifying," he said. "It's a difficult place to race as it's so narrow and passing is nearly impossible. I was stuck behind Rubens [Barrichello] in 2009 and we had KERS then, but you just couldn't get past.

"We'll have to see how the tyres perform and if there are any good strategies to be made, but the most important thing is qualifying well. It's difficult to know how good the car will be in Monaco as you can't simulate its characteristics, certainly not at any of the circuits we've visited so far this year. We can say the E20 has been fast everywhere else so let's hope it's also fast at Monaco."

Raikkonen has finished on the podium at the last two races, but admits he and Lotus will not be satisfied until he wins.

"The team has done a good job so far and we still have work to do and things to improve," he added. "So far it's going well and I'm happy with it. OK, we're not 100% satisfied with it because we are not winning but that's a very normal thing and I'm pleased for the team."