Thread: Egyptians vote in first free Prez election.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

asking Egyptians vote in first free Prez election.

Wednesday 23rd May 2012

Egyptians vote in first free presidential election

Millions turn out for historic vote; winner won’t be announced until June 21

Comments (2) By Helen Kennedy / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 9:46 AM

[
    Print

image - Egyptians vote in first free Prez election. Hasan Jamali/AP

An Egyptian voter casts her ballot in an historic presidential election Wednesday, May 23, 2012, at a polling station in Cairo, Egypt.

image - Egyptians vote in first free Prez election. Khalil Hamra/AP

An Egyptian woman casts her vote for during the first day of the presidential election in a polling center in Alexandria.

image - Egyptians vote in first free Prez election. Khaled Elfiqi/EPA

A veiled Egyptian woman shows her ink-marked finger after casting her vote in the first round of the presidential elections in Cairo.

image - Egyptians vote in first free Prez election. Mahmud Hams/AFP/Getty Images

Egyptian women gather outside a polling station in Cairo Wednesday during the country's first presidential election since a popular uprising toppled Hosni Mubarak.

Millions of excited Egyptians streamed to polling stations Wednesday to vote in the first free elections in the ancient land’s long history.
    Fittingly, it was a nail-biter.
    “We are basically getting rid of the concept of dictatorship,” prominent internet activist Wael Ghonim told the BBC.
    “Egyptians are actively participating in politics. Egyptians are no longer scared to say what they believe in.”
    The ballot featured 12 candidates, ranging from Islamists to secularists to leftist revolutionaries to top officials in the former regime of deposed President Hosni Mubarak.
    One of the frontrunners, former Mubarak Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq, was attacked by protesters who hurled shoes at him when he left his polling station in Cairo.
    Results of the two-day vote are due Tuesday, but no one is expected to win more than 50% and a run-off is already scheduled for June 16 and 17. The ultimate winner will be revealed at a historic announcement June 21.
    "The sun is rising in Egypt." said former First Lady Rosalind Carter, who was helping to monitor the election.
    Voting was reported to be calm in most places apart from the Shafiq incident.
    The military, which took power after Mubarak’s fall, has vowed to hand over authority to the winner. But there is widespread skepticism about the sincerity of that promise.
    Liberal voters fear democracy would lead to theocracy - or even a return to autocracy.
    No candidate has emerged to lead the secular young generation that carried out the uprising against Mubarak.
    “First time I feel so undecided,” tweeted the influential blogger known as The Big Pharaoh.
    “I am so undecided to the extent that I was at the door and left the queue and went to its back. I swear I did that,” he wrote. “First time I feel how my tiny vote is so precious.”
    The Muslim Brotherhood, which is growing in power after years of repression under Mubarak, would bring more religion into government. It has promised not to impose Saudi-style Islamic law, which forces women to wear veils or mandates antiquated punishments like stonings and amputations.
    The military-backed Mubarak-era candidates promised a return to stability after the months of rising crime, strikes and economic chaos that followed the revolution.

Last edited by R. M. Dixit; 25-05-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6079 Thread(s)

Default Re: Egyptians vote in first free Prez election.

Another country will soon have US controlled 'Democracy'

Team A aqal o danish ki zinda misal hai
    mera libas hai tu zps3e44c641 - Egyptians vote in first free Prez election.

Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9827 Thread(s)

Default Re: Egyptians vote in first free Prez election.

Quote Originally Posted by DexteR View Post
    Another country will soon have US controlled 'Democracy'

Team A aqal o danish ki zinda misal hai
    Dexter paii kammoo main v zananioun sayy aagay ki chezii hain

تیری انگلیاں میرے جسم میںیونہی لمس بن کے گڑی رہیں
    کف کوزه گر میری مان لےمجھے چاک سے نہ اتارنا