Whelan: Martinez not joining Liverpool
Roberto Martinez will not be joining Liverpool or Aston Villa and will be backed in the transfer market after opting to stay with Wigan, chairman Dave Whelan has said.
Martinez met with Liverpool owners FSG in America last week to discuss the vacancy at Anfield but had reservations about working under a director of football at Anfield and returned to the UK on Tuesday with no deal in place.
The Spaniard, who has also been linked with Villa despite rejecting an offer to manage the Midlands club at the start of last season, met Latics owner Whelan for talks on Thursday and was promised investment in the squad.
"Roberto is staying with us and I've agreed to his request to up our spending on youth development and training facilities," Whelan told ESPN.
"And that's going to be pretty costly as I have agreed to a full-sized indoor pitch and that will cost £1.5 million. Roberto's very keen on that aspect of the club. I have also agreed with him to bring in three or four new players".
Martinez, 38, will continue at the DW Stadium with no amendments to his current deal as he moves into the second year of his contract.
Re: Whelan: Martinez not joining Liverpool
hmmm good for wigan in the end