Jenson Button is targeting a return to form in qualifying at the Canadian Grand Prix after failing to make the top-ten shootout at the last two races.

14163 - Button aims to solve qualifying issue in Canada

Button struggled to get his tyres working over one lap at the Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix and after both sessions was unable to explain why. He said the main aim in Canada would be to resolve the issue in order to give him a proper chance of challenging for points in the race.

"This weekend it's going to be important to get a handle on the car in qualifying," he said. "At the last two races, Q2 hasn't gone my way, so, no matter what pace you have in the race, you're still compromised on Sunday afternoon, particularly as the pack is so tightly bunched at the moment. My aim for the weekend will be to have a stronger qualifying performance and to be able to build on that in the race."

Button took one of the best victories of his career in Canada last year when he came from the back of the field in wet weather to pass Sebastian Vettel for the lead on the final lap. He said he is looking forward to returning.

"Obviously, returning to Montreal will be an extremely proud and happy moment for me," he added. "My win there last year was one of those rare occasions when everything just came right - it's still hard to believe that I was running in last place past half-distance and yet still managed to come through and take victory on the final lap. The memories of that win will always be with me.

"Montreal is always a race I look forward to anyway. The city has such a great vibe to it, the people are friendly and extremely welcoming and the fans are incredibly passionate. It's the perfect place to go racing and you can feel the excitement building literally as soon as you step off the plane."