Jenson Button admits that he needs "to score some good points this weekend" to get back in to the championship battle.

14934 - I need to score good points - Button

Having won the opening race of the season and been second in China, Button has fallen 31 points behind championship leader Fernando Alonso due to a return of only two points in the last three races. Ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix - a race he dramatically won last year - Button said that he's not been paying attention to the standings for the last few weeks due to his poor results.

"To be fair I purposefully haven't looked at the points for the past few races but I don't think anyone is streaking ahead in the championship," Button said. "As we have seen it's been a very mixed bag over the first six races. But yeah, the last few races, I've retired twice and I've scored two points in the other race. They haven't been my finest weekends. So, yes, I need to score some good points this weekend to get it back on track."

Button admitted that winning races wasn't the be all and end all in 2012, but said he was confident that Canada could be a good venue for him once again.

"I think we all come here hoping for a victory, aiming for a victory, but as we've seen for most of the season just being consistently in the double figures in terms of points is key really to fighting at the front this year. Looking forward to the weekend I have some very special memories here, especially last year, but also 2010 and back when I qualified in pole here before. So I'm looking forward to getting out there and seeing what we've got to play with."