Sergio Perez believes he can fight for a podium finish with Sauber in the Canadian Grand Prix this weekend.

14933 - Perez eyeing Canada podium

Since finishing in second place in Malaysia, Perez has yet to score another point. On numerous occasions the Sauber has looked competitive in practice but failed to translate that in to a strong race result but Perez said that he is looking to make amends in Canada despite having pulled out of the grand prix last year.

"It's a circuit I know well even just from the few laps I did in FP1 last year because after the accident (in Monaco) I could not race here," Perez said. "Hopefully this weekend can be a lot better. I think that we have a very competitive car and we can fight for a podium here."

When asked what it would take for Sauber to deliver on that belief, Perez said the key was avoiding some of the bad luck it has had so far this season.

"I think it's just a matter of putting everything together. We have enough speed; we have had fairly unlucky races since Malaysia, like in China for example. The only weekend we did not have the speed was in Bahrain, we had a lot of degradation. But all the other weekends; Barcelona I was in fourth place in turn two but then I had a puncture, in Monaco in qualifying we had the speed to fight for the win I think but I had a problem with the steering wheel and I just went straight on in qualifying and started last. I think that the speed is there and everything is there but it's just a matter of luck. I think we've been very unlucky in the last few races."