Jenson Button expects McLaren will be more competitive at Hockenheim if it has a "problem-free build-up" to the German Grand Prix.

15348 - Button eyes problem-free weekend

McLaren has struggled in the last two races, with Button scoring just five points in total and team-mate Lewis Hamilton four. Though Hamilton was on for a better result in Valencia, both cars were slow at Silverstone but Button thinks the car is better than those results indicate and says the team needs to have a smooth Friday and Saturday to show it.

"Performance-wise, I still think it's difficult to accurately predict where we stand in the competitive order," Button said. "Valencia and Silverstone were certainly difficult races for us, but I don't think they were truly representative of our pace. This year, you really need a problem-free build-up to the race if you're going to maximise the car's potential - and that's exactly what we'll be hoping for in Germany next weekend."

With the mid-season break following the Hungarian Grand Prix on July 29, Button said it is important McLaren recovers somewhat over the next two races.

"The final back-to-back before we head into the summer break will be important for the whole team: coming off the back of a couple of disappointing weekends, it's important that we capitalise on the opportunities available in Germany and Hungary.

"I've always enjoyed Hockenheim: I raced here when it blasted through the forests - a long time ago! - and I had a great race here in 2004, finishing second, despite starting back in 13th after a penalty for an engine failure in practice. It's a circuit where you can attack; it's good for racing and the newer layout is better for the spectators, too."