How to Welcome Muharram-ul-Haram ?
My beloved Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam’s beloved devotees, it is a general tradition that an eminent and renowned personality is always welcomed with eagerness and enthusiasm. The sacred months, especially Muharram-ul-Haram, should also be welcomed in the same way. On the sighting of the moon of Muharram, we should recite the following prayer in order for the whole year to pass through peacefully.
"O Allah! You are Eternal and Everlasting, this is the new year and in this I pray to You for protection against Satan and his associates. I also seek Your help in fighting against my desires and to engage myself in acts of worship that will bring me closer to You. I seek Your help O Merciful One."
The reward of praying this supplication is that the devils say, ‘Alas! We have lost hope in misguiding him.’ And two angels are appointed on the recitor who protect and safeguard him throughout the year.
Two Rak’at Salaah
On the 1st of Muharram pray two rak’ats with Surah Ikhlas three times after Surah Fatiha in each rak’at. Then pray this dua:
(Dua attached in Urdu translation)
The author of Jawahir, Aini reports that whosoever prays the Salah mentioned above followed by the dua, then two angels are appointed for his protection and the devil will have no influence over him.
How we can make our new year different and better than the past years
Now let us see how we can make our new year different and better than the past years. Here we come up with a plan, which if we follow and stick to, will be beneficial to us in both the worlds.
• Establish Salaah. Pray five times every day without fail. Remember, the last act of Imam Hussain RadiyAllahu Anhu was prostration.
• Reserve some time each day for the recitation of the Holy Qur’an. And it is also advisable to try and read the translation ‘Kanzul Imaan’ which is available in most languages.
• Whatever occupation you are in, do your job with sincerity and honesty. Keep your dealings free of lies, deception and keep up with your promises.
• Do not waste your time. Time is very precious for a Mu’min. If you do have spare time then read Islamic books.
• Always keep good company. Try to be with the learned and the righteous.
• Always speak the truth and keep miles away from lies.
• Always be good to others. Do not hurt anyone with your words or action. Always display the best of character.
• Do not indulge in ‘haram’ in order to make more money. Remember, your sustenance is pre-destined.
• Try to help others but do not be dependant on others.
• Never use any form of intoxicants.
• Give enough time to your children and take personal responsibility and interest in their guidance and upbringing. Apart from worldly knowledge make sure they are also well versed in Islamic knowledge.
• Always be well-mannered, especially in front of your children because they will pick up your habits. You should be their role models and best of friends so that they do not look elsewhere.
• Respect your parents. In no circumstances should you hurt them with your words or behaviour.
• Basically, obey Allah and His Beloved Rasool Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam and follow all the principles of Islam as much as you know.
Let is all make a resolution to make the upcoming year the one which can change our lives forever, for the better.