976365 280 preview?ITEM ENT ID976365&ampITEM VERSION1&ampCOLLSPEC ENT ID10&ampFILE SERVICE CONF ID280 - Red Bull's Horner hopeful of tyre changes
Throughout the season Horner has been one of Pirelli's most outspoken critics, backed up by drivers Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber.
Even owner Dietrich Mateschitz waded into the debate last week after the Spanish Grand Prix during which there were 79 pit stops, claiming the sport was now more about tyre management than pure racing.
To add to the furore there have been several incidents this season, affecting the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Paul Di Resta, in which tyres have rapidly delaminated after collecting a cut.
It is on that basis Pirelli are to make structural changes to their tyres, which in turn should also reduce the number of pit stops, which will be available from next month's Canadian GP onwards.
In light of Pirelli's announcement, which could aid Red Bull's title bid, Horner said: "We've been pretty consistent throughout the year in saying the tyres, on occasion, have been a bit too marginal.
"That includes the races we won in Malaysia and Bahrain, so it's good Pirelli are looking at it.
"The most important and most fundamental issue is from a safety perspective.
"If you do have a delamination, if you have a big chunk of rubber, you don't want that to hit a car component or, worst case, a driver.
"So there are safety issues I know some of the drivers are concerned about.
"Pirelli is a very capable company, and I think they know what they need to do. Hopefully that can be resolved very quickly."
Ahead of this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix, Horner could not resist another dig at Pirelli with regard to what they have done to the state of racing these days.
"At the end of the day we don't need to make it too complicated. The way things are at the moment it is too complicated for the fans," added Horner
"It's too difficult to follow races where you've four stops going on. It's hard enough when you're in the race.
"I think we need to just wind that back a little bit, and more than anything, make sure we eliminate any safety issues."
Vettel believes his comments, and those of others within Red Bull, have been fully justified given the extent F1 has changed in recent years.
In a bid to offer a greater degree of understanding to the average fan, the triple world champion said: "The driving is very different from what we know and like.
"You still need the same kind of skills, but the sport has become very technical.
"If you compare it to skiing where these days the skis allow a skier to corner quickly. You need to be brave enough and strong enough to dare to go quickly.
"Then imagine, from one year to the next, you have wooden skis. The guy not that good on the quicker skis then does better than he probably should.
"I'm not saying the people in front shouldn't be in front. What I mean is the sport and racing has changed a lot.
"Look at overtaking. Now we are waving people through to save tyres and to simply do our own race as fast as we can.
"That's not the idea of racing."
With Pirelli citing safety concerns, rather than for improving the show, they have the opportunity to make changes under the regulations.
Pointing an accusing finger at Pirelli, Vettel added: "I don't want to talk bad about people, but they have to do a better job on safety grounds.
"We've seen the tread delaminating, blowing up. Fortunately nothing happened.
"It's not because a driver has driven over debris, it's because the tyre is simply not good enough. It can't be safe.
"We've a lot of marbles, which to some extent can be dangerous, so there are certain things we need to be careful with.
"The last thing we want is a big off. Imagine here, coming out of the tunnel, down the straight into the chicane and you have a tyre coming off.
"It's something no one wants to see."